Saturday, April 24, 2010

Weekends are the saddest points in time...

... for a single man in his 40s.

All your married friends keep family commitments on the weekends. I've always thought it was rather cool that I had young single friends and married friends my own age. But the problem is with weekends... they can be the saddest and loneliest of times.

Your married friends, as I said, do married things on weekends. They do family things on weekends. They make commitments with other married couples on the weekends.

My single friends, most of whom are a good deal younger than me, they make other commitments on the weekends. They go to parties on the weekends. They date on the weekends. They have a life on the weekends.

I was married. That ended in failure.

I had a son. That ended.

And now I am 45 years old facing the rest of my life on this earth alone. I smile politely and make everyone else feel ok with my life. But there isn't much truth in that... it's a sad life on the weekends. Weekends are when all the demons come out to play. Friday night through Sunday are the days when my thoughts get the better of me.

Some would have me date and marry again. And while, I am not opposed to it, I am also not broken in my singleness. I am no more broken than a married man. But I'm just as broken as a married man... broken before my Lord.

If I had money to spend, I guess I could medicate. But most of my free money goes to helping orphans around the globe.

For all my lousy, sad and depressing weekends. Orphans have a worse life ... worse, sometimes, than I dare to imagine.

Perspective... a good healthy perspective.

It helps. Sometimes.

The sadness, however, persists and the loneliness creeps in like smoke through the cracks of a chimney.

1 comment: